Let's talk about poo

It's another World IBD Day .... Another day to help raise awareness of Inflammatory Bowel Disease and the first time in four years that I have been free from hospital visits. I had a total proctectomy last year and finally got signed off from the hospital. I am officially IBD FREE ...there is no more diseased and ill sections of my body left!

However events like this are hugely important. Increasing numbers of people are being diagnosed or tested for forms of IBD, but diagnosis is a long slow process, often resulting in people becoming seriously ill before they get a final diagnosis. IBD is life threatening, there is no cure. It is a debilitating condition that severely impacts on quality of life.

When I was at my illness it was difficult to go out, to go to work, to look after my little girl ... I lived with a constant fear of having to be near a toilet ... And I mean NEAR a toilet .. Like seconds away. If I needed to go I needed to get to the toilet instantly. And I certainly couldn't hold on ..... There is nothing more embarrassing and shameful than soiling yourself as an adult.

And there is one of the key issues with IBD ... it's embarrassing. We don't want to talk about poo! It's still a taboo subject in our society and people don't really want to know about your poo mishaps or what your poo looks like or even the fact that you have constant diarrhoea and are in constant pain due to your IBD.

BUT if we don't talk about poo and become honest about what is happening in our bodies then misdiagnosis will  continue to happen. Medical professionals are not experts and often many of the symptoms are similar to IBS. However IBS is not life-threatening; IBD is.

So today .... On World IBD Day lets not be afraid to talk about poo..... Maybe it will change someone's life.... Maybe it will help a diagnosis..... Maybe it will help to find a cure or a cause.... Who knows!

Happy World IBD Day


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Toilets, trees and other things!

World IBD Day 2017

I’m doing a half marathon!!!